Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This delightfully easy, and somewhat messy, sandwich packs a punch with sweet balsamic vinegar, artichoke hearts, red onion, provolone cheese and zesty pepperoncini. We love it for dinner as well as lunch. If you're packing the hoagies to take along, keep the ingredients separate and assemble right before eating to avoid soggy bread. Serve with tomato and cucumber salad.
Italian Vegetable Hoagies INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 2 slices provolone cheese, (about 2 ounces), halved
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini, (optional)
- Italian Vegetable Hoagies
Place onion rings in a small bowl and add cold water to cover. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Combine artichoke hearts, tomato, vinegar, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Drain the onions and pat dry.
To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini, if using. Cover with the baguette tops. Serve immediately.
Italian Vegetable Hoagies NUTRITION:
Per serving: 264 calories; 8 g fat ( 3 g sat , 4 g mono ); 10 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein;8 g fiber; 624 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat