Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Lots of colorful vegetables and salsa make this cheesy panini prettier than any grilled cheese you've ever seen. The small amount of Cheddar cheese in this sandwich goes a long way because it is shredded and sharp. Serve with a mixed salad and you've got a delightful lunch or light supper. If you happen to have a panini maker, go ahead and skip Step 3 and grill the panini according to the manufacturer's directions.
INGREDIENTS Southwestern Cheese Panini Healthy Sandwich:
- 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeño pepper, (optional)
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
Southwestern Cheese Panini Healthy Sandwich PREPARATION:
- Have four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) ready by the stove.
- Combine Cheddar, zucchini, carrot, onion, salsa and jalapeño (if using) in a medium bowl. Divide among 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 panini in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the panini, then weigh it down with the cans. Cook the panini until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the panini, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining panini.
Southwestern Cheese Panini Healthy Sandwich NUTRITION:Per serving: 331 calories; 14 g fat ( 5 g sat , 2 g mono ); 30 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 16 gprotein; 5 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat